A Study Permit is not required for programs less than 6 months in lengths. Please ensure if you need either a Temporary Resident Permit or an eTA before entering Canada.
Please visit the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for further information
|Type of Visa||Length of Stay||Length of Study||Visa Process||Work authorization|
|Temporary Resident Permit (Tourist Visa)
or eTA (eligible countries)
|Up to 6 months||Up to 6 months||
|Study Permit||6 months or longer||6 months or longer||Apply for visa before arrival. Can use school Letter of Acceptance||
|Working Holiday Visa
|1 year (some exceptions)||Up to 6 months||Apply before arrival||Open work permit|
- Please check visa requirements with IRCC before applying as regulations may change
- IH Vancouver (Whistler) does not offer visa consulting services. To find a licensed immigration consultant please check the ICCRC website
- Please note that you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when applying for a visa to enter Canada.
Medical Insurance is required for students studying in Canada.
Options for medical insurance are:
- Purchase before departure in you own country (Please present to IH staff during Day 1 orientation)
- Purchase Guard Me Insurance from IH Vancouver before or after arriving in Canada
- Sign up for the British Columbia Medical Services Plan (available for students on study permits or working holiday visas after 6 months stay in Canada)