Visa Requirements

A Study Permit is not required for programs less than 6 months in lengths. Please ensure if you need either a Temporary Resident Permit or an eTA before entering Canada.
Please visit the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for further information

Type of Visa Length of Stay Length of Study Visa Process Work authorization
Temporary Resident Permit (Tourist Visa)
or eTA (eligible countries)
Up to 6 months Up to 6 months
  • Apply for eTA before arrival or
  • Apply for Temporary Resident Visa before arrival
Study Permit 6 months or longer 6 months or longer Apply for visa before arrival. Can use school Letter of Acceptance
  • -Not authorized for language study programs.
  • - Eligible for career college programs
Working Holiday Visa
(eligible countries)
1 year (some exceptions) Up to 6 months Apply before arrival Open work permit

Electronic Travel Authorization(eTA)

  • Please check visa requirements with IRCC before applying as regulations may change
  • IH Vancouver (Whistler) does not offer visa consulting services. To find a licensed immigration consultant please check the ICCRC website
  • Please note that you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when applying for a visa to enter Canada.

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance is required for students studying in Canada.

Options for medical insurance are:

  • Purchase before departure in you own country (Please present to IH staff during Day 1 orientation)
  • Purchase Guard Me Insurance from IH Vancouver before or after arriving in Canada
  • Sign up for the British Columbia Medical Services Plan (available for students on study permits or working holiday visas after 6 months stay in Canada)